Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Mama Edna is actually in Nairobi

What an experience this is being. Today was our second day at Missionaries of Charity. I spent all but a few minutes in the room for severely disabled children. I don't think any of my training in autism or anything else has prepared me for this. The toddlers are wonderful and I enjoyed my few minutes bathing and dressing several of them. I also spent about 20 minutes in a second or third grade class having a math lesson.

Only about five of the children in the "handicapped room" are ambulatory. Those include BaBa, Colin, Columbo, and Thomas who rolls around in a wheelchair. I spent time again today with Baba, who is clearly autistic. He says nothing but babababa. Yesterday he hit aother child and snatched the ball from him. I said told him "No!" and gave the ball back to Columbo. At which point Baba bit me on the butt. Actually he couldn't actually get hold of flesh through my pants but he certainly tried. He calmed quickly, however.

Today more wrenching was holding a tiny child whose arms where no bigger than my thunbs. He is clearly starving. He cried when he was placed on the mat for me to massage him. is brow was so furrowed and he was crying in pain. Instead of massaging him I held him in my arms and stroked and rocked him with support for his head which was arched back. He face relaxed and he seemed no longer in pain. The sister came and told me to feed him and gave me a bowl of porriage. He nibbled at it but after a bit he didn't want to open his mouth. She had told me to feed it all to him and I tried. After a bit, however, he vomited it all out over himself and me. When the sister came back she said I should have only given him 4 spoonfuls. They said he vomits all the time. They took him from me and wouldn't let me hold him anymore because they were afraid he would get used to being held and comforted. I can only hope that he doesn't have to suffer for too much longer.

3 comments:

Andy B. said...

There are no words sufficient to describe how this story has touched me. Thank you for telling it, and please continue to share, as painful as it must be.

Kathryn said...

I had to leave and compose myself befoe I could add a comment. Thank you for doing what you do so beautifully. I'm so proud of you.

Diana said...

As painful as this was to read, it cannot come close to how heart-wrenching it must have been for you. I pray restful sleep for you to gain strength for the next day's challenges. Peace and Love.