Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The situation in Kenya only worsens

Just when I think it can't get any worse.....

Last night Sarah called to tell me that they had received word that Julius's brother, Melitus, has been murdered in Nairobi. He had recently been elected to Parliment (equavalent to a US Congressman) and, although the government declares that they don't know the motive, I can't believe that the killing was not politically motivated.

My biggest concern right now is for the safety of his family, who are friends of mine. Julius will go to Nairobi to help make arrangements not only for the funeral but also to find secure living arrangements for siblings Emmanuel and Juliana and Emmanuel's three children. I can't imagine that if people were willing to shoot Melitus is cold blood that they might not also target his family. Emmanuel has already be subjected to robbery, jail, and plice beating.

I have decided not to return to Nairobi next summer. I believe that my money is better spent helping Julius and his family. Perhaps I can go again the next year, if and when things have settled down there. Now I need to help in other ways. My prayers go up every day but sometimes I am skeptical as to whether it makes any difference. I know, in my heart, that it does but I've been praying every day and many people I know have been praying everyday and things just seem to get worse.

I'm just being pessimistic, I know. Prayer works. Emmanuel is alive. The children are safe. God works in mysterious ways and he doesn't always give me exactly what I ask for. God knows what is in my heart and I can only pray that His will be done. But, Damn! I sure want what I want. And I want Julius to be safe while he is in country and that he is able to find a way to get Emmanuel, the children, and Juliana to safe haven.

1 comment:

Soulfari Kenya Administrator said...

Edna, I get what you're saying, I really do. I have decided that I have to maintain a posture of hope, strength, and prayer because that is what our friends and family in Kenya need from us. Julius is especially drawing strength from us right now during this time of personal tragedy. i don't get all of this, but I simply believe that God is alive and working mysteriously through each one of us. Edna, you are loving him well, and you are loving me well. Thank you. -Sarah W